Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) is hiring a postdoctoral investigator in regional coupled climate modeling for the Northeastern Pacific Ocean and the U.S. West Coast. The postdoc will work with Dr. Hyodae Seo on an NSF project to quantify the role of large-scale and fine-scale coupled ocean-atmosphere processes in shaping persistent anomalous ocean states ranging from meso-to-frontal scales of cool coastal upwelling to the regional-to-basin scales of the marine heatwaves of the “Blobs.” The project will probe into how anomalous ocean states influence synoptic weather events (e.g., extratropical cyclones, atmospheric rivers, and atmospheric blocking) and how far inland the effects of anomalous ocean-atmosphere coupling penetrate. The research will use the SCOAR regional coupled model (https://hseo.whoi.edu/scoar-model), dynamically downscaling the outputs from the CESM Large Ensemble Community Project (https://www.cesm.ucar.edu/projects/community-projects/LENS2/).
The initial appointment will be for 1 year, with a possible second-year continuation contingent on progress and funding. Qualified applicants must submit the application forms online. The documents should include a cover letter, CV, and contact information (only) of 3 references. Interested applicants should contact Dr. Hyodae Seo (email@example.com).
• Diagnose the large-scale drivers of the Northeastern Pacific climate variability in the CESM Large-Ensemble simulations
• Design and conduct SCOAR regional coupled model simulations for various scenarios of the large-scale forcing and local air-sea interactions mediated by the ocean mesoscales
• Publish peer-reviewed papers and present research results at national and international scientific meetings
• Recent or near Ph.D. degree in physical oceanography, atmospheric sciences, or other relevant disciplines
• Strong quantitative ability and organization/communication skills
• Preferred prior experience with ROMS, WRF, or other regional coupled modeling systems (e.g., COAWST)
• Familiarity with the NCAR and other supercomputing facilities
WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
No pre-determined physical requirements; all candidates should be encouraged to apply.